Monday, February 1, 2016

Forever remembered: the crew of STS-107

The crew of STS-107. Photo Credit: NASA
This post will be rather quick. Over the last week, NASA held a number of remembrance events for the three biggest tragedies in the US space program's history: Apollo 1 in 1967, Challenger STS-51L in 1986 and Columbia STS-107 in 2003.

I am 27 years old. I wasn't alive when Challenger exploded, but I was for Columbia. Next to 9/11, it was the biggest news event of my life. I will never forget where I was when I learned of the break up of the Space Shuttle over Texas.

I had been interested in space since 1998 when I watched Discovery send John Glenn back to space. I watched it on TV, but the energy of that launch came through the set and into my soul. I loved it. 

But for the next four-and-a-half years, it was just another interest. I liked dinosaurs, Titanic, and architecture too. Columbia, however, did something to me that would change me forever. I realized that this was something that people were willing to die for. From that point on, I knew that whatever I did in my life, it would revolve around space in some way.

The legacy of the crew of Columbia is many things -- friendship, faith, comradery, science, exploration -- but I think their biggest legacy is the change in trajectory that ultimately happened at NASA. The agency, while it still has many flaws, is pushing outward.

I love the International Space Station. It is one of the greatest projects ever attempted. But, because of the end of the Shuttle program and the push for an exploration class rocket, the station has become more than just a research lab in low Earth orbit. It is a testing ground for long-duration missions. It is a place where private companies can do business, and it is our way-station to deep space.

I do believe these things would have eventually happened, with or without ISS or a tragic accident, but because of the crew of Columbia and their sacrifice, their memories will be honored by continuing to push the limits of the frontier.

May humanity never forget Rick Husband, William McCool, David Brown, Kalpana Chawla, Michael Anderson, Laurel Clark and Ilan Ramon. Hail Columbia and her final crew.



Video Courtesy of NASA

No comments:

Post a Comment